Risk and Method statements
It is a legal requirement for organisations with 5 or more staff to carry out documented Risk and Method statements of all of their significant hazards. The Health & Safety Executive guidance advocates a 5 step approach to risk assessments:
- Identify the hazards present (a hazard is anything with the potential to cause harm e.g. slippery floors, electrical equipment, lifting heavy objects, stress, machinery, fire etc).
- Identify the people at risk from the hazards e.g. employees, contractors, visitors etc. Particularly vulnerable employees should also be considered e.g. young people and new/expectant mothers.
- Evaluate the risk, taking into account the likelihood and severity of any accidents. Existing controls in place should be identified and evaluated.
- Record the findings on a suitable form.
- Review the risk assessment regularly.
ADF Safety Solutions Ltd can assist with any risk assessment, and there are two options available for companies looking for assistance:
- ADF Safety Solutions Ltd can carry out your risk assessments for you;
- ADF Safety Solutions Ltd can support you through the risk assessment process by providing appropriate forms, training staff who will carry out risk assessments and commenting on completed assessments.
ADF Safety Solutions Ltd can also help construction and contracting organisations with generic risk assessments and method statements to be modified, and site specific risk assessment documents and procedures.